Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ellie's Generosity


So, after the Monster Tantrum post, I feel the need to post about Ellie's good side as well... She has a big personality to say the least. The same passion that makes her a challenge at times also makes her so much fun and full of love at other times.

About a month ago, Ellie came out of her room one morning with an armful of toys. She said, "I want to give all these things away to the poor. But I dont have anywhere to put them." So, I got the laundry basket (the one we use to transport clean laundry), and she began filling it up. She came out a few minutes later saying she needed another basket. So, I found one. She filled it up as well. I went into her room to find that she had included several of her favorite items - her Clifford dog, her sleeping beauty outfit (the pink princess dress you have all seen before and that she wore daily), two of her fanciest dresses, princess crowns and scepters, etc.

A: "Are you sure you want to give these away? You wont be able to get them back."

E: "Yes, I want the poor to have them. I think they have been wanting some dressups."

A: "Well, why dont you give them these instead (pointing to her Jasmine and Snow White dresses (that she never wears)."

E: "Aww. That would be so sad. Then the poor won't have any dresses that don't itch them."

My 3-year-old is teaching me a lesson in selflessness. I wanted her to keep the Sleeping Beauty dress because I know she loves it. She wanted to give away her favorites so that other children could experience the same joy she finds when she plays with them. She was happy to keep only the dresses that she dislikes and that she thinks are itchy. If that isn't selfless, I dont know what is! She had no ulterior motives. She only wanted to share her favorite dresses with those who are less fortunate.


I knew in my heart that I should foster her desire to generously give away some of her favorite things, but my instincts were for her to keep them. My friend Shannon encouraged me to let her give them away, and so we have!

A few days later, her friend came over to play and wanted to dress up as Sleeping Beauty, but Ellie said, "No, we gave those to the poor. But you can be Jasmine, and I'll be Snow White." After I took off the "itchy" gatherings from the dresses, the girls enjoyed playing dress up!

Ellie chose to give the toys and dresses to the children of a shelter for abused and neglected children. I'd love to post the link to the website, but that would give away our top secret location!!!

I'm still not sure where she got this idea from, but maybe she learned about the poor while at church. Wherever she heard the message, she certainly took it to heart. I was very proud of her generosity and so glad that she reminded me of the true joy of giving.

2 comments:

"D" said...

Wow! What an awesome lesson for us all! What an amazing girl (at least she knows what she wants!)

Karen said...

It's amazing to see the inner goodness of people. Children can truly amaze us and teach us valuable lessons. It's moments like these that make motherhood great.