Tuesday, April 8, 2008

"Green Ocean, Blue Skies" VS "Green Vomit, Blue Shirt"

Before our trip to Dallas, Chris spent the week in Brazil with classmates, touring a bit of the country and mostly relaxing at a gorgeous mansion. I stayed with the kids and left on Wednesday for Texas. The journey began like this...

I flew half-way across the country with the kids by myself. There were no reasonably-priced non-stop flights, so we had to change planes. Before I left, I decided that we would take our time and not hurry. I would be very patient, and I brought many things for Ellie to do and lots of snacks. Before I go any further, I should say that Ellie was unbelievably well-behaved. She was so quiet and happy the entire flight - even without a movie to watch.

Everything was going really well until I decided to feed Kevin some jarred baby food - green beans and brown rice. Sounds harmless. He's had green beans. He's had brown rice. A few minutes after he had finished the jar, it all began. He vomited all over me. Not once, not twice, but as many times as it took to empty his tummy (at least that's what I thought at the time). It wasnt just green beans and brown rice that came up. It was also sour milk. I stayed calm and just wiped it up. But my blue shirt was pretty well covered. With its smell, every breath I took reminded me of the sour milk on my shirt. But I tried to not let it bother me.

After we landed, we gathered our things and exited the plane. I went straight to the bathroom to clean myself up and change Kevin's outfit as well. A little soap and water got most of the stink out and left my shirt nice and wet. I truly looked like a mom walking around like that. But just as I was cleaning up the last bit, my phone rang. It was Chris...

A: Hello
C: Hi, how's it going.
A: Ok. How are you doing?
C: Oh, it's so beautiful here. We just went cliff diving and it was so gorgeous. Then, we hung out on the beach and went to lunch. It was so relaxing, and I'm having even more fun that I expected. Later today we are going to (add something really fun and exciting here. I can't remember what it was. But I can guarantee that I would have rather been there than in the airport bathroom using the push faucet sink trying clean green vomit from my shirt while Ellie sang her most annoying version of La la la laaaaaaaa in the background.). I'm just having a really great time...

But, I kept going. I didn't let it get to me. We boarded the next plane, and it started again. More green vomit, over and over again. By now, I was getting a little annoyed. Then, the flight attendants came around offering drinks. I got some juice for Ellie. I wasnt sure about this move because I didn't have her sippy cup out and Kevin grabs at everything. But I thought I could handle it. Quick and clever Kevin stuck his hand out immediately and pulled the juice cup over, spilling the entire cup of juice all over my lap. When we exited the plane, my bottom was still wet. I guess if anything, it gave me the ability to have empathy for children when they wet their pants. It was not pleasant. At this point, I had to do more than "just keep going". I just laughed. What else could I do?

2 comments:

SB said...

oh my gosh. and to think it was going so well when we left you at the airport. well done for just laughing at the end of it all. you're seriously a trooper!

Sara Carolina said...

you are a trooper. that sounds horrendous and hilarious at the same time.