Monday, February 4, 2008

Baby shampoo study raises chemical concerns

I read about this more than 3 years ago - before Ellie was born. I decided it was too much to worry about, especially since the websites I read about this weren't really "mainstream". I did decide to avoid baby lotion and anything else that is might contribute to additional unnecessary "chemical exposure", but I didnt do much else about it.

The baby shampoo concern is with phthalates that are added to the shampoos, primarily through fragrances and plastics. Phthalates are believed to cause harm to the reproductive system of children.

I had also read about the BPA in bottles and sippy cups long ago. Again, I decided not to really worry about it was really only discussed on "natural" websites. But now that all this stuff is in the mainstream, I'm wishing I had taken it more seriously before. So, I'm starting first with a post about baby shampoos. In a few days or weeks, I'll post more about the BPA-free bottles and sippy cups.

If you want more info or to see more of the helpful links I've found, please let me know! I'll be happy to pass them along. In trying to keep it simple, I've listed a few easy-to-find shampoos that are safer(er).

FROM MSNBC.COM
Baby shampoo study raises chemical concerns
Phthalates found in urine of infants after they were powdered or lotioned
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22979800/

What are doctors saying about this...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22999573/


AVOID THIS SHAMPOO...
  • Johnson & Johnson Johnson’s Head-to-Toe Baby Wash
  • any products with parabens in the ingredient list (phthalates are not listed, however)
  • any products with tea tree oil or lavender (especially for boys, these ingredients act as estrogens and may cause breast buds in boys http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm)

USE THESE SHAMPOOS...


  • Huggies Baby Wash, Extra Sensitive, Fragrance Free baby shampoo
  • Huggies Tear Free Baby Shampoo, Extra Sensitive
  • California Baby Shampoo & Bodywash (highly recommended and sold at Whole Foods)

I have to say one more thing about this. For the most part, these chemicals are not required to make the products we use. Companies choose to continue to use them, but if we do not continue to support their products, maybe that will begin to change.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Abbey, Thanks for this post. I've sent it to some moms here and have already received a call about how helpful this was. Look forward to the post about the sippy cups. Kids are WAY cute as usual.

Rachel said...

Hi Abbey!

The kids are just adorable! Brad and I love to stop by occasionally to see what you guys are up to.

I use Arbonne Baby Shampoo and Lotion...100% vegan and GREAT for baby skin! If you or anyone else are interested, just let me know. You have to purchase through a sales rep, which I am! :) Happy to help!

Gjovigs said...

Abbey, thanks so much for all the information. I've passed it onto the Mom's Club I'm involved in here in Bentonville.. and I will be buying new shampoo for my kiddos. Please send along more info. when you get the chance! Love it.. also, if you get the chance I would love to know more about the other links that you've heard of!
It was great to talk to you the other day.. we need to talk more often!
Bonnie

the dowiaks said...

breast buds can happen in girls too...reese got one last summer from lavender. well, i think it was a combination of the lavender and soy milk, but i know the lavender was a big contributing factor. we stopped using it and the breast bud went away in a couple of months.

Shannon Morrison said...

do more of these type posts!

also what kind of california baby shampoo? i found three kinds but they all contain methylparaben. (obviously the tea tree/lavender scent does but also the fragrance free!) Help!