Monday, February 8, 2010

Matthew Christopher is here!

Matthew Christopher

January 29 4:36am

21 inches long, 8lbs 5oz




We arrived at the hospital at 8pm on January 28, and I was dilated to 4cm and 100% effaced. Progress was slow from there... Around 2am, the nurse informed me that I was 6cm, and Matthew was posterior. So, I tried some new positions (cat/cow and the pretzel). By about 4:20am, I was only 8cm dilated and had reverted to 50% effaced due to swelling of my cervix. But, I really felt like I needed to push. The nurse and the doctor both agreed that during a contraction, I was dilated to 10, but after the contraction, my cervix would revert back to 8cm. Since I didnt have an epidural or any other pain medication, I couldn't fight the urge to push very long. The doctor was really concerned that my cervix might tear, which would lead to a lot bleeding and pain during repair. Anyway, I pushed with the contractions, and Matthew was born very quickly after. I was fortunate that everything remained in tact, and there was nothing to repair!! I guess your body knows when it's ready!


We didnt know that Matthew was a boy until he was born. I really don't think it was worth the wait!! His gender was an afterthought for both of us. We were just excited that he was born healthy! If there is a fourth for us, I think we'll find out early just as we did with Ellie and Kevin!
















































6 comments:

Brad, Carla, Addison, Hudson and Mason said...

He is adorable!!! Congrats!

J-Team said...

We are soooo excited for your family. He is beautiful.

Cassie said...

Congratulations!! So excited for yall! He is just precious! :)

Karen said...

Aww, he looks like a brother. Congrats you guys.

Jamie and Chris said...

Congratulations! Matthew is just precious! Ellie looks like a pro holding him in one of the pictures. I bet she will be a big help! I love the picture of Matthew holding on to someones shirt. I love it when Caden did that! Kevin looks a little skeptical! Glad to hear things turned out well in the delivery room. Hope you are all dong well and enjoying being a family of 5!

Rachel said...

JUST saw this! Congratulations to all of you! What a beautiful baby boy little Matthew is. Just perfect!! Hope everything is going great, and hopefully we'll get to meet all these little ones sometime!!