Sunday, April 22, 2007

Baseball, Construction, Problem-Solving...

Ellie showing me how to play baseball...
First you get a bat.
Then you spread your feet.
Then you swing!

Chris gets inspired to give a few more pointers!



















Ellie sending an email to Granny. Benji, the stuffed dog, watches tucked inside Ellie's shirt!
















I took apart Ellie's toddler bed one afternoon this week while Ellie watched and of course, asked a lot of questions. Then, I went downstairs for a while and left Ellie playing in her room. I heard her making some noise and saying she was "working really hard." So, I went upstairs to make sure nothing too crazy was going on! She jumped up when she saw me and came over to me and said, "Look Mommy. I was working really hard on this. I was taking my baby's bed apart." If you look at the picture, you'll see two small little plastic bedrails next to her toddler bed pieces and mattress. She took the crib apart and laid the pieces against the wall just like I had done with her bed!

****************************
I was impressed by Ellie's problem solving skills this morning! Chris was playing in a charity flag football tournament. He left early in the morning for the events before Ellie and I woke up. Once Ellie and I got up, we got ready to go and packed a bag with snacks. She was excited to go and was saying, "Come on Mommy, let's go!" Then, I realized that Chris had taken the car, which had our two strollers in the trunk. The fields were about 2 miles away. The rest of the story went this way...

Abbey: "Ellie, I don't think we can go to the game because Daddy took the car."
Ellie: "Let's go get it."
Abbey: "No, it's too far away. We can't just go get it."
Ellie: "Maybe Daddy can come get us."
Abbey: "No, Daddy is playing football. He can't come get us."
Ellie: "We can walk"
Abbey: "No, it's too far to walk."
Ellie: "I can ride in my stroller."
Abbey: "No, your stroller is in the car, and Daddy has the car."
Ellie: "I can ride in Arden's stroller."
Abbey: "That's a good idea!"

So, we borrowed a neighbor's stroller and went over to watch the game. I figured she had earned it - always finding another way in spite of the obstacles! Along the way, we saw a fluffy cat. Ellie quickly told him, "We are going to watch Daddy play football." She ate cheerios (or Organic Purely O's) the whole way and never complained a bit!

2 comments:

Sara Carolina said...

she's so stinkin' cute - i can barely stand it! i can't wait for y'all to be here this summer. what date do you arrive? as for swim lessons - we signed up for some at the Y - may 14-28, i think (it's for 2 weeks). i've heard the WU ones are good too, though. if you need me to get any info for you, let me know. sorry i haven't called back!

Shannon Morrison said...

That's awesome...Ellie following in the footsteps of her softball loving mom!